The directors of the undergraduate writing program at Columbia compiled a pithy and quite comprehensive list of the moves that successful essays make. I filed it away as a tool for when my writing seems to be missing some motivating point. A while back, I designed a quick layout to give these valuable instructions a bit of graphic force. Set in Frutiger.
- Cause & effect
- Set & subset
- Argument & counterargument
- Argument & qualifier
- Expectation & reality
- Theory & practice (or vice versa)
- Concept & application
- Rule & exception
- Strength & weakness
- Argument & exigence (urgency/motive)
- Idea & implications/significance
- Pattern & break
- Idea & complication
- Problem & resolution/solution/proposal
Someday I’ll have this printed and framed in my office.